About five percent of people in the world have suffered from gout at least once in their life. It is a very ancient and common disease. Most people with arthritis suffer from gout and generally occurs in the big toe as uric acid builds up in the blood.
Normally uric acid dissolves in the blood, processed by the kidneys and flushed off in the urine, but when there is too much uric acid in the blood it crystallizes and collects in the joint spaces, causing goat. Simply because the kidneys cannot process the excess uric acid.
A gout attack causes huge pain and inflammation in the joints and normally lasts between 5-10 days. And it generally occurs in the big toe but it can happen in the: ankles, heels, knees, wrists, fingers, and elbows.
Who Gets Gout?
Goat is a Man disease as they are more venerable to gout, women are more fortunate for having a better lifestyle and children rarely get it.
Here are the risk factors of getting gout:
- Men in 40s and 50s are at greater risk of getting gout
- Family history, if someone from your 1st, 2nd or 3rd family tree has gout you are at risk
- Overweight, nearly 18 percent of gout patients are overweight and that makes sense since eating too much increases the production of uric acid
- Diet, heavy consumption of certain foods causes increase of uric acid and gout, such as: lentils, peas, sardines, anchovies and white meat.
- Alcohol can also increase uric acid
- Certain medications can increase uric in the body
How to avoid getting gout? What precautions can I take?
If you are in your 40s-50s you are at risk of getting gout, there are medicines for controlling body uric acid, however there are precaution measures that you can take to avoid getting gout. If you have family history of gout I really recommend you to take the below precautions:
- If you are overweight you are at greater risk, try to reduce your weight by doing regular exercise. Ideally you should be between 60kg-78kg depending on your height.
- Eat sensibly, avoid eating white meat and lentils as these cause an increase of uric acid in the body.
- Avoid alcohol consumption or keep it under 21 units a week.
- And have your blood pressure tested at least twice a year.
How to cure gout at home? I already have gout how can I treat it using home remedies?
If you already have gout and that can be painful, the chances are that you are taking medications recommended by your doctor. It is recommended that you continue taking those medicines and not stop.
To cure gout you must neutralize your uric acid and here are some food types that can help control body uric acid and they are:
- Fish oil supplements
If you make changes on your lifestyle you can control your uric acid and cure or even avoid getting gout.